Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Iowa Assessments

Iowa Assessments


Every year students have to take the Iowa Assessments which were called ITEDS two years ago. I have been taking these tests since I was in third grade and I am extremely excited to be done with them. As a junior, it is my last year that I will ever have to take these Iowa Assessments. I am sure I will have to take tests like these later on in my life to get into certain classes for my major but I will never have to take the Iowa Assessments again. That sure is a great feeling to have after I have taken them for almost ten years.

When I was younger, I was always told that I had to do great on these tests because they would place me in a certain based on my results. But now that my classmates and I are older, they don’t really say that because the main reason for these tests is to make sure the school is doing their job by teaching us the correct material. Back when I was in elementary they would use the results to make sure that the school is doing what they should but also to see what level each student is at. Now they look for both, but mainly to compare other school’s results together.

Here at Kennedy we were told that our class of 2014 had the best results last year at the school. That tells a lot about my grade and how smart we are. I was really surprised to hear that because I thought the grade above us was the best. It really is kind of cool to hear that we are the best.

Last week, Dr. W came into our class and told us that this is the year that they have to send our results into the state. I thought that each and every grade was sent to the state but I guess not. I found this kind of annoying because last year we did so well and they didn’t even get sent to the state. This year if we don’t do as well, it will kind of suck because our best results weren’t sent in.

Many people on these tests don’t want to take them. Because of that many students want to just fill in random bubbles so they don’t have to read each question. I have always wanted to do that but then I really think about it and it is stupid to do that. If you just fill in random bubbles and get a terrible score, it could reflect on you later on. I know the main point of this test is reflected on the school but they do look at personal scores also.

I hate having to take the tests but I guess they need to be done. So everyone try your hardest and maybe you will be awarded with something later!

(485 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment