Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pets

Pets

                Many people now days have a pet. I think that owning a pet is a great way to teach kids how hard it is to take care of something.  All kids want to own a pet but at that time they don’t know what it is like to take care of one. To make kids learn how to take care of something, a pet is a great thing to get.

                Once you actually get the pet, everyone adores it, like it is some celebrity. When the pet actually arrives home, friends want to come over to see what the pet looks like. But as days and years go on, the pet becomes less and less exciting to see.

                I can remember when we first got our dog, Maverick. When our family got home from the pet store after buying all his food and toys we had visitors at the door waiting to see him. The rest of that day we had neighbors, friends, and family all in our living room watching the little white fluffy dog lay on the ground. Maverick was very shy at first. That first week he just liked to lie down and shiver. As weeks progressed, Maverick become rowdier, running through the house barking at every dog that walked by.

                Now Maverick is eight years old and is still running through the entire house to each and every window trying to look for dogs that are out on a walk. It is crazy to see how fast time flies. I still remember the first day we got him when I was the only child that knew we were getting him. We decided to get a boy dog because our house is full of girls and one male. My father wanted to have another male in the house other than himself.

                I cannot even imagine what it is going to be like when Maverick has to be put down. I have pretty much grown up with him the majority of my life. Even though he isn’t an actual person, I consider him a brother. He comes to cuddle with me when he knows I am down or sick and he is the only thing that can make me happy when I am upset.

                My friend is going through a really tough time right now. His dog has to be put down tonight after having a tumor in her stomach for a while now. The dog’s name is Amber and has been a “sister” to my friend and his brothers ever since they were toddlers. When I found out that they were going to have to put Amber down, my heart melted because I knew how close their family is to Amber.

                Having a pet die is probably one of the worst things that could happen other than a family member dying. Pets are usually kids’ best friends. When they have to see their best friend die or be put down, it is definitely tuff. I had a dog before Maverick and she passed away when I was about 7. I can still remember that day when I just balled and balled because she died. The weird thing is I don’t remember anything else about the dog other than her dying.

                Since I was old enough to remember when my family got Maverick, I remember all of the moments we have had/ are having with him. When that day comes where we have to put him down, or the day that he dies, I do not know what we are going to do. All I can say is, it will be a very and I mean very tough day.

(612 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment