Thursday, March 28, 2013

Texting hurting Communication

Texting hurting Communication


             Social media is a topic that has been brought up a lot recently around the United States. What actually is considered social media? This is a question that not many people know how to answer. If you were to ask me this question I would say that anything involving communication using electrons to talk to someone else is considered to be social media. So yes, I would say that e-mailing and using cell phones is social media.

Many people would disagree that e-mailing and cell phones are social media but I have found evidence in articles that I have read to prove my point. In an article that Ashton Kutcher wrote called, Has Texting Killed Romance? He stated, “With all this texting, e-mailing, and social networking, I started wondering, are we all becoming so in touch with one another that we are in danger of losing touch?” Also in another article called, Electronic Intimacy it states, “E-mail and texting and interactions on Facebook encourage more efficient and instantaneous affirmation of rejection of our feelings.” Both of these article’s quotes are referring to texting and e-mailing as social media.

When I sat down and thought about what social media has done for us, it really has hurt a lot of humans. I believe that social media has ruined the communication between people. You see more and more people today who are in a large group but they are sitting on their cell phones, not speaking to anyone else in the room. Eight years ago, this would not be occurring. If there was a group of people sitting in a room, most likely no one would be on their phones; they would probably be having conversations with each other, not even worrying about their cell phone.

Since texting and e-mailing have been brought up into this world, more and more people do it. They are taking advantage of these two communication methods instead of speaking in person face to face. When someone is in an argument they would rather not have to speak to them in person but write an e-mail or text message. This causes a problem because when they actually need to know how to handle in argument in person, they don’t know how to.

If you were to walk through a hallway of a high school, I bet you that at least eighty percent of the students would be on their cell phone either looking at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or texting. Again eight years ago or even less you would not have seen this occurring in schools. Because most people are texting these days, they are losing their communication skills. When a text is sent, there is an unlimited amount of time to send a message; you can have as much time as you want to think about what to respond back with. If you were to have a conversation in person and didn’t know how to respond, you are screwed because there is not an unlimited time.

Also texting has made grammar and spelling go downhill. From my personal experience, I have been texting for a long time now and I honestly can say that I don’t have the best spelling. I am so relied on auto correct that is on my phone, I don’t even worry about misspelling words in a text message. When it comes to writing an essay on paper, it is hard for me to spell all of the words correctly because I am not used to having to spell a word when it has been given to me most of the time.

Like I said, I even have a problem with my communication with others because of social media. I think that most people would agree with me too, but it is not like people are going to stop texting and e-mailing each other because that is what people do in their everyday life. It is kind of hard to change something in your life that occurs so frequently. It would be nice though to have people cut down on using electronics to communicate between people. The more people cut down on using electrons to communicate, the better our communication will be between each other.
(702 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment