Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Skin Cancer = Problem

Skin Cancer = Problem
 
   Fake, cancer, and more cancer. That is how I describe someone who tans in the tanning bed every day. I could see maybe once a week tanning but when someone is tanning in a bed every single day to become “black”, it’s just stupid. Tanning every day is terrible for your skin. The likelihood of getting skin cancer is very high when you tan using a bed.
              I understand that almost every girl (sometimes guys) want to be dark and look like they just got back from Mexico, but have they really thought about the effects of tanning every day could do to them? I know that I wouldn’t want to be diagnosed with skin cancer at a very young age. It has been said that people under the age of 30 have been diagnosed with skin cancer due to tanning in a bed at a young age.
              There are other methods you could use to become dark rather than laying in a tanning bed letting your skin burn. One popular method is to get a spray tan. I know that people think this is very risky. Which yes I would have to agree, I think it is risky and scary to get one. People don’t know exactly how the spray tan is going to come out. You could come out of the room completely orange or you could come out of the room with a nice bronze glow to your skin. Either way, I believe the spray tan is the best option out there to help you from getting skin cancer at such an early age.
              Another method you could do which is not the best one is to lay out side instead of using the tanning beds. It is better to get the actually sun rays then “fake” ones. I know laying out is not very healthy for your skin either but I believe it is better than the tanning beds. Instead of laying out side without any sun screen, try putting a little sun screen on. Put 15 spf instead of putting 50 spf. If you put on 15 spf you are allowing your skin to get more sun which could help you become more tan.
               I have very pale skin and I always have. Yes, I do not like it but I really can’t do anything about it unless I want myself to possibly get skin cancer. I am asked a lot if I ever get tan and my answer is sometimes. I will not get tan laying out side without sun screen like most people. I will get burnt if I do that. To get tan, I have to put 30 spf on my skin if I am outside and let the sun do the rest. I usually do not lay out just because my skin is so fragile and easy to burn.
               I have gotten a spray tan before. Actually I have gotten 2 and loved them both. People would tell me, “I would never be able to do that, I would be too scared”. I just told them that it wears off in a week or so. That is a good thing about spray tans, if they don’t turn out the way you thought then just wait a couple more days and your color will be back. When you get a spray tan you have the option of getting a light, medium, or dark color. I obviously went for the light and you could still see the change in my skin color.
               Instead of ruining your skin by tanning in a bed every day, why not try different things or maybe tan in a bed once a week instead of everyday. Even though you might be scared to try out a spray tan, they are far better than getting skin cancer at a young age. I know I always have wanted to live as long as I could.
 
(655 words)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I never thought of someone being "scared" to get a spray tan. I do understand that it would be really, really annoying and also embarrassing to come out "orange" or a weird shade, but I think of cancer risk as "scary". A bad spray tan is an incovienence, but not a health risk. Isn't it crazy how some people aren't "scared" of skin cancer.
    Does this say something about our society as a whole? Maybe we are more concerned about appearances than quality of life? Hmmm...

    You may want to do some research and include some reliable websites to support your suggestions. Is laying out better than tanning beds? Do lower SPFs still do an acceptable job of protecting us from harmful rays?

    Another thing to consider, "back in the day" fair skin was the ideal. In what ways (and how) did our lives and priorities change? Can that be linked to historical changes, etc.?

    This is a hot topic that could lead to other posts. Also, I can see it appealing to your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I thought of another.

    Could you write some tips on how to ease your worries about a bad spray tan? How to find a place to go? How to know they do a good job? Also, are those people trained, and how? Certified, etc.?

    ReplyDelete