Monday, September 10, 2012

Receiving Allowance

Receiving Allowance
              
               How much money do you receive from your parents each week? Very little would be my answer to this question. I hear very often from fellow peers that they receive a certain amount of money each week from their parents. I ask them why and they say just because. In my head, I think that is ridiculous. No one should just get paid for doing nothing. I am not just saying this because I think this, but I do a lot around my house and I get paid zero. Do I complain about this? Yes sometimes. I complain when I have spent my own money a lot in one week. I will say something like, “Mom, Dad, I do so much around the house and get paid nothing.” They then laugh and go on with whatever they were doing…yes very annoying.
              But then I guess I should say I do understand why they don’t pay my sisters or I allowance. They are trying to teach us kids that we have to have a job to earn money. My parents don’t want us receiving money from them and spend it all the time when we could have a job and spend that money. Since I do the dishes, always have my room clean, dust, and vacuum the house, I wish that I would get paid at max $8 a week. I would not expect them to give me any money for anything if I was paid $8 a week. I am paid $0 now and I still pay for my own food if I decide to go out for dinner. I am sure that my parents would give me money if I asked them too, but I feel guilty. I know that 99% of the time I do not ask for money.

                You are probably wondering how I go out to eat and do things with friends if my parents don’t hand out money to me. I will babysit and that is how I make my money. I babysit quite often actually and it is a very easy job for what I am being paid. The family that I babysit for the most pays me between $12-$18 an hour. Yes, that is a lot I know. I hear it from my parents every time I come home from babysitting and tell them how much I have made. I am very lucky with that deal and it makes me want to never say no to them when they ask me to babysit. The girls are very well behaved too so really, I enjoy babysitting them.

                Hearing people around me that are being paid $10-$20 a week for not even doing chores makes me feel so proud of myself. I feel like I actually work for my money and not just get money handed to me. I pay for everything, when I go out to eat with friends or want to buy a new outfit I will pay with my own money. I will admit it does suck having to pay a lot of things on my own but in reality it makes me realize what the actually value of money is and how many people out there take money for granted.

                I probably have made this blog sound like my parents do not pay for anything in my life, but they do. They pay for all of my sports that I am in which costs a ton. There are tons and tons of clothing orders in my high school and club sports that they have to pay for. There are also all the tournaments and hotels that I have stayed in over the years. My mom will once in a while ask me if I want to go shopping and that is the time that she will pay for what I want. It is just the by myself things that I have to pay for. I will pay myself to attend movies, go shopping, go out to eat with friends, and anything that is something I do on my own. Other than that, my parents have me covered. It is just very irritating hearing that someone is being paid allowance when they do nothing.

(702 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment