Sunday, September 9, 2012

Homeschooling good, bad?

Homeschooling good, bad?


            Would you want to be homeschooled?  If I were to answer that question I would definitely say no. I have always felt bad for the students that are homeschooled. But at the same time, I have been jealous of the students who are homeschooled. I say that for many reasons.
            Being homeschooled excludes you out of a lot of different activities. If I were homeschooled I wouldn’t be half as social as I am now. I would not be able to meet the people that I have met now. Also I would not be around all the activities the school offers. Such as football games, pep assembly’s, homecoming court, dances, exc. You would be able to attend some of the events, but it wouldn’t feel the same when you don’t know many people there.
            There are some good things about being homeschooled that I have found myself. I have become jealous of homeschooled kids for this main reason…I had a girl on my high school volleyball team that was homeschooled. She was in the district of Kennedy so that is why she was able to play on the team. After practice, she would once in awhile tell us that she didn’t have to go to “school” tomorrow. She was able to wake up at 8 or 9 every morning and start school in her own home. That is the cool thing about being homeschooled. You don’t have to wake up so early in the morning, and you’re in your own home having “class”.
            When it came down to home volleyball matches at the school I bet it was tough knowing that your at your own school and don’t really know anyone in the student section cheering you on. I know that I wouldn’t like that. Having friends that you have known that go to the school would be helpful. They could take you to those football games, dances, and other activities the school offers. But not having friends that already go to the school would be very tough, especially very tough to become involved in the activities.
            I just know that when I am older and decide to have kids, I will never make my kids be homeschooled. I am not saying homeschooling is a bad thing. I just wouldn’t want my kids to be sheltered from the school and the students in the school. I think that a way the school could get the students homeschooled involved is to invite them to an activity. Let the school body know who the homeschooled students are so that students can help them feel more comfortable to attend school events. 

(438 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment