Sunday, December 2, 2012

Family Far Away

Family Far Away


Sad, sad, and sad is all that I can say about my grandparents going to Arizona for the winter. Snowbirds are what most people would call them. In the mid October, my dad’s parents fly to Arizona where they have a house in a retirement community. They don’t come back to mid April so they miss all of the snow in Iowa. Sometimes I get jealous of them for that but then I realize I would miss the winter.
It’s not fun having to say not a good bye but a see you later to my grandparents in October. It is pretty much six months that I don’t get to see them. They miss all of my basketball games though out the winter which I don’t like. I love when I am warming up in a basketball game and I see my grandparents walk in the gym going to be the biggest fans their for me.
Since my grandparents leave so early, our family has Christmas at the beginning of October. Whoevers house it is at still puts up a Christmas tree so that it somewhat feels like Christmas. It was very odd having Christmas when it was 60 degrees out.
I sometimes wonder if my grandparents ever feel bad for leaving. I know that my grandparents are very close with all six of their grandkids. Four of their grandkids live in Iowa and two live in Washington the state. They try to visit the kids in Washington because it is hard to have them come to Iowa with their busy schedules. I just feel that my grandparents sometimes feel bad for leaving because they aren’t able to attend our athletic events.
Whenever my grandparents leave for Arizona we all start to worry. Recently when they have been in Arizona they have not had such good luck. They have had to go to the hospital many times from a broken leg, heart problem, and exc. It makes all of us in the family nervous when they are in Arizona.
It is hard to see/hear that they are in such pain and when we aren’t there to help it is even harder. If we were there we would be able to help and comfort them with whatever goes wrong.
Also with my cousins in Washington they never get to see grandma and grandpa. Actually they never get to see their cousins either. We cousins hate not being able to see each other. Since we are such a small family we are all very close. At most of the family gatherings it is just us 4 grandkids because the other two are in Washington,
My cousins in Washington have always wanted our family of five to travel to Washington to visit them. We never are able to because we are busy every single week of the year. Someday I hope that our family is reunited together for a family gathering so we can all catch up on each other’s lives.

(498 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment