Thursday, May 2, 2013

"Crime is Pride"


“Crime is Pride”

In the excerpt from Antigone, Sophocles the writer shows a clear message that all people should follow. His moral in the excerpt applies to life every since it began. I really enjoy this excerpt because people can deal with this every day.
When he wrote “all men make mistakes” (line 1), he was telling the readers that everyone in the world today isn’t perfect. Everyone is going to make multiple mistakes in their lifetime. This phrase catches my eyes because it makes people realize that they aren’t the only people in the world that make mistakes, everyone does.
In line 2 when Sophocles uses the phrase “good man” it puts emphasis on if you make a mistake, a good person would try to fix it and deal with what outcome it produced. When someone realizes what they did wrong, they need to make sure they take accountable for it and do something about it.
After you figure out you know you did something wrong, an action needs to be taken. It’s one thing knowing you did something wrong and not doing anything about it than knowing you did something wrong and fixing the problem. A good man would know what they did wrong but also fix the problem.
From my own experience I am a teenager in high school and I have made mistakes that I regret. But I would consider myself a “good man” and that I “yield” my mistakes. I know what I did was wrong and I try to fix and do whatever I can to get things back to normal.
I have seen many people in my high school career do something to an extreme they know they shouldn’t have done. Some of those people fix what they did and some do not. The people who do fix what happened are considered as good people and more successful. People who don’t do much about the problem they caused have not been successful.
The phrase “The only Crime is pride” (line 5) I think is very confusing. This could mean a lot of different things. To some people this could mean that making a crime gives the person a sense of pride. To me that is not what it means.
We have all been told to take pride in our country and to have pride, I believe it means in some way to be proud. I think that the phrase used in line 5 is saying that the crime you make needs to have pride put into how you resolve it. The more pride you have in resolving the problem, the less the mistake seems.

(441 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment